Descendants of Augustus Betz
Generation No. 1
1. AUGUSTUS1 BETZ (?A) was born September 1834 in Prussia, and died September 18, 1919 in Jackson Co., OR. He married (1) CHRISTIANA ? 1857, daughter of ? ? and ? ?. She was born March 1836 in Philadelphia, PA, and died February 11, 1902 in Family residence on Rogue River, Jackson Co., OR. He married (2) LOUISE PETERS February 03, 1903 in Medford, Jackson Co., OR. She was born 1842 in Germany.
More About AUGUSTUS BETZ:
Occupation: 1880, Baker
Notes for CHRISTIANA ?:
Medford Mail (Tribune), Medford, Oregon, Friday, 28 Feb 1902: Died on February 11, 1902, at the family residence on Rogue river, Mrs. Christiana Betz, wife of A. Betz, aged sixty-five years and ten months. Deceased was born in Philadelphia and in early life moved west. In 1857 she was married to A. Betz, and to them were born thirteen children, nine of whom are living five daughters and four sons. Interment was made in the Central Point cemetery, the remains being followed to their last resting place by a large concourse of neighbors and friends. Services were conducted at the grave by Rev. J. P. Moomaw. Mrs. Betz was beloved by all who knew her and her loss is keenly felt by her many friends. The bereaved husband and children have the sympathy of the entire community. I am requested by Mr. Betz to tender the thanks of himself and family to the many friends who single kindly assisted them in their hour of sad bereavement.
More About CHRISTIANA ?:
Burial: Central Point Cemetery, Jackson Co., OR
Children of AUGUSTUS BETZ and CHRISTIANA ? are:
2. i. ELIZABETH2 BETZ, b. August 31, 1858, Grass Valley, CA; d. January 24, 1903, Jackson Co., OR.
ii. C. BETZ, b. Bet. July 1860 - 1861, Placer Co., CA.
iii. ELLA BETZ, b. 1866, NV.
3. iv. CHRISTINA BETZ, b. November 23, 1869, NV; d. September 18, 1934, Jackson Co., OR.
v. PETER E. BETZ, b. 1871, NV; d. February 19, 1954, Jackson Co., OR; m. MARTHA A., Abt. 1904; b. 1873, OR; d. 1955, Jackson Co., OR.
Notes for PETER E. BETZ:
According to the 1910, 1920 and 1930 census of Jackson County, Oregon, they had no children.
4. vi. IDA A. BETZ, b. 1873, Lander Co., NV; d. Aft. 1930.
5. vii. WILLIAM BETZ, b. July 1874, NV.
6. viii. CHARLES F. BETZ, b. 1876, NV.
ix. AUSTIN ALEX BETZ, b. July 03, 1880, NV; d. December 25, 1966, Eagle Point, Jackson Co., OR.
Notes for AUSTIN ALEX BETZ:
According to the 1930 U.S. Census, he was still single at age 50.
Generation No. 2
2. ELIZABETH2 BETZ (AUGUSTUS1, ?A) was born August 31, 1858 in Grass Valley, CA, and died January 24, 1903 in Jackson Co., OR. She married JEREMIAH FRANKLIN DITSWORTH March 16, 1879 in Austin, NV. He was born April 18, 1846 in Mechanicsville, Mifflin Co., PA, and died January 25, 1936 in Medford, Jackson Co., OR.
Notes for ELIZABETH BETZ:
Medford Mail (Tribute), Medford, Oregon, Friday, Trail Items, p. 2, c. 3: A surprise party gathered at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Ditsworth Saturday evening in honor of Mrs. D's birthday. The host and hostess, though surprised, were equal to the occasion and entertained the crowd in their usual cheery manner. After dancing till eleven they made way with the good things that had been prepared by skillful hands. Then came songs and music and soon the crowd departed wishing Mrs. Ditsworth many happy returns and hoping they'd all be there again.
Medford Mail (Tribune), Medford, Oregon, Friday, 30 Jan 1903, Central Point Items, p. 3: The many friends of Mrs. J. F. Ditsworth, of Big Butte will feel sorry to hear of the lady's death at the family home last Saturday. She was a very estimable woman and leaves a husband and large family, besides many friends, to mourn her loss.
Medford Mail (Tribute), Medford, Oregon, Friday, 13 Feb 1903, Central Point Items, p. 3: The late Mrs. Elizabeth Ditsworth, who died at her home near Leeds on upper Rogue River on the 24th day of January last, was born in California on the 31st day of August, 1858, grew to womanhood at Austin, Nev., where she was married to J. F. Ditsworth March 16, 1879, and removed with him to Jackson county in September, 1880, residing for two years near Eagle Point, and then removed to the home on Rogue River, where they have since resided. Her husband and eleven children, four sons and seven girls survive her, and cherish the memory of a devoted and loving wife and mother. For those estimable traits which characterize the highest type of pioneer woman, deceased was particularly noted, and she was deserving of the high esteem and personal friendship in which she was held by all who knew her. She lived for her husband and children, her thoughts centering in home at all times, and sore indeed is her loss in the home circles. Owing to the great storm and high water prevailing at the time of her untimely death, it was impossible to bring the remains to the valley for interments, and she was laid to rest on Monday, January 26th, on the home place, north of the junction of Rogue River and Big Butte creek. A number of relatives in the lower valley, including Mrs. Will Jackson of Medford and Mrs. Christina Pettigrew of Eagle Point, sisters of the deceased, her father Mr. A. Betz of Eagle Point, were unable to attend the funeral ceremonies, owing to the impassable conditions of the mountain streams. A coincident circumstance connected with the death of Mrs. Ditsworth was the receipt of the news by her husband this week of the death at Shelby, Iowa, of his oldest sister, Mrs. Mary Moore, at the ripe age of 78 years, her death occurring on the same day on which Mrs. Ditsworth passed away.
More About ELIZABETH BETZ:
Burial: January 26, 1903, Home place, north of the junction of Rogue River and Big Butte creek, Jackson Co., OR
Notes for JEREMIAH FRANKLIN DITSWORTH:
Medford Mail (Tribune), Medford, Oregon, Friday, 2 Nov 1894, Little Items from Leeds, p. 4, c. 5: R. E. Peyton and J. F. Ditsworth expect to go to Medford soon, with shakes and posts. Mr. Peyton disposed of a great many posts to a Mr. Howard, of Medford.
Medford Mail (Tribune), Medford, Oregon, Friday, 13 Sep 1895, p. 2, c. 3: A heavy wind storm came up Wednesday afternoon. Several large trees fell and dead limbs flew fast. Mr. Ditsworth and Mr. Dodson, who were here making posts on the mountain, were driven home on account of the falling limbs. The schoolhouse, a frail, little building, shook badly but no damage was done.
Medford Mail Tribune, Medford, Oregon, Wednesday, 2 Sep 1914, Flounce Rock Frills, p. 5, c. 3: J. F. Ditsworth Sr. started the first of the week for Ft. Klamath with a load of fruit and vegetables.
Medford Mail Tribune, Medford, Oregon, Thursday, 12 Apr 1917, p. 5, c. 4: J. F. Ditsworth and son Gus and James Peyton returned from the valley Wednesday, the former went back with loads of potatoes Thursday. Gus has about ten loads yet to haul.
Medford Mail Tribune, Medford, Oregon, Sunday, 26 Jan 1936, p. 3: Jeremiah Franklin Ditsworth, 89, residing with his children at Trail since his retirement five years ago, passed away in a local hospital Saturday morning. He was born at Mechanicsville, Pa., and at the age of 17 years went to Illinois, where he grew to manhood, and came west in 1864, spending a few years in California and finally settling at Austin, Nev. He came to Jackson county in 1880 and had resided during this time at Talent, but mostly at Trail. Thus he had spent nearly 56 years in this county. He was the last of nine children; one brother lived to the age of 100. Mr. Ditsworth was a member of the Ashland Christian church. Besides his wife, Mary E., he leaves the following children by a former marriage: Frank, L. A. and Stewart Ditsworth, Trail; Hobart Ditsworth and May Richardson, Prospect; Ida Hebrard, Salinas, Cal.; Florence Hescock, Scotia, Cal.; Ora Yerkes, White Salmon, Wash.; Bertha Cobleigh, Phoenix; Ada East and Hazel Vaughn of Medford. Funeral services will be conducted by Rev. D. E. Millard at the Conger chapel at 1 p.m. Monday. Interment in the Siskiyou Memorial Park.
More About JEREMIAH FRANKLIN DITSWORTH:
Burial: January 27, 1936, Siskiyou Memorial Park, Jackson Co., OR
Children of ELIZABETH BETZ and JEREMIAH DITSWORTH are:
i. LEWIS AUGUST3 DITSWORTH, b. October 29, 1886, Eagle Point, Jackson Co., OR; d. June 30, 1949, Prospect, Jackson Co., OR; m. VIOLET A..
More About LEWIS AUGUST DITSWORTH:
Burial: Siskiyou Memorial Park, Jackson Co., OR
ii. ARTHUR DITSWORTH, b. 1888, Eagle Point, Jackson Co., OR; d. August 04, 1893, Eagle Point, Jackson Co., OR.
Notes for ARTHUR DITSWORTH:
Medford Mail (Tribune), Medford, Oregon, Friday, 11 Aug 1893, Supplement, p. 1: Died: On August 4th, Arthur, five year old son of Frank and Elizabeth Ditsworth. Funeral took place at Grandpa Betz, on Rogue river, last Saturday. About three weeks ago the young fellow was playing in the road and pushing a stick in the dust, holding one end against him. The stick struck a stone and so bruised his person as to cause an abscess to form in his stomach and from the effects of which he died.
3. CHRISTINA2 BETZ (AUGUSTUS1, ?A) was born November 23, 1869 in NV, and died September 18, 1934 in Jackson Co., OR. She married (1) ? EWING Abt. 1889. He was born in England, and died Bef. July 1900. She married (2) FREDERICK PETTEGREW 1902, son of ? PETTEGREW and MARTHA ?. He was born October 1880 in KS, and died April 06, 1971 in Jackson Co., OR.
Children of CHRISTINA BETZ and ? EWING are:
i. CLARA E.3 EWING, b. December 1890, Jackson Co., OR.
ii. ETHEL L. EWING, b. January 1892, Jackson Co., OR.
Children of CHRISTINA BETZ and FREDERICK PETTEGREW are:
7. iii. FRANK3 PETTEGREW, b. 1908, Jackson Co., OR.
iv. CHARLES FREDERICK PETTEGREW, b. November 22, 1902, Jackson Co., OR; d. December 08, 1982, Jackson Co., OR; m. ALICE ?.
v. WILLIAM LELAND PETTEGREW, b. September 02, 1904, Jackson Co., OR; d. February 26, 1986, Brookings, Curry Co., OR; m. THELMA ?.
4. IDA A.2 BETZ (AUGUSTUS1, ?A) was born 1873 in Lander Co., NV, and died Aft. 1930. She married WILLIAM BARTLETT JACKSON October 25, 1896 in Medford, Jackson Co., OR, son of GEORGE JACKSON and SARAH MYERS. He was born May 08, 1874 in Trenton, Grundy Co., MO, and died March 25, 1924 in Sacred Heart Hospital, Medford, Jackson Co., OR.
More About WILLIAM BARTLETT JACKSON:
Burial: March 30, 1924, Jacksonville Cemetery, Jackson Co., OR
Occupation: Bet. 1902 - 1924, Assistant Cashier, Medford National Bank
Children of IDA BETZ and WILLIAM JACKSON are:
i. MARY F.3 JACKSON, b. 1898, Medford, Jackson Co., OR; m. CECIL JENNINGS, Abt. 1917; b. 1894, TX.
More About CECIL JENNINGS:
Occupation: 1930, Restaurant Proprietor
8. ii. BESSIE MABEL JACKSON, b. April 13, 1899, Medford, Jackson Co., OR; d. August 1987, Berkeley, Alameda Co., CA.
iii. GEORGE W. JACKSON, b. 1901, Medford, Jackson Co., OR; m. VIVIAN C., 1926, Jackson Co., OR; b. 1906, OR.
iv. CHARLES F. JACKSON, b. September 17, 1902, Medford, Jackson Co., OR; d. January 15, 1973, Rogue River, Jackson Co., OR; m. (1) MOSS? ?, 1924, Jackson Co., OR; b. 1899, WV; m. (2) HAZEL M. MORRILI, January 12, 1972, Wolf Creek, Jackson Co., OR.
More About CHARLES F. JACKSON:
Burial: January 19, 1973, Hillcrest Memorial Park, Jackson Co., OR
5. WILLIAM2 BETZ (AUGUSTUS1, ?A) was born July 1874 in NV. He married MARGARET ?. She was born August 1880 in OR.
Child of WILLIAM BETZ and MARGARET ? is:
i. STELLA3 BETZ, b. February 1900, Eagle Point, Jackson Co., OR.
6. CHARLES F.2 BETZ (AUGUSTUS1, ?A) was born 1876 in NV. He married HILDA F. HANSON May 09, 1908 in Multnomah Co., OR. She was born October 08, 1888 in OR, and died July 03, 1964 in Multnomah Co., OR.
Child of CHARLES BETZ and HILDA HANSON is:
i. DALE L.3 BETZ, b. December 1928, OR.
Generation No. 3
7. FRANK3 PETTEGREW (CHRISTINA2 BETZ, AUGUSTUS1, ?A) was born 1908 in Jackson Co., OR. He married MILLIE MEYER.
Children of FRANK PETTEGREW and MILLIE MEYER are:
i. LEE4 PETTEGREW.
ii. CHARLES PETTEGREW.
iii. SHIRLEY PETTEGREW.
8. BESSIE MABEL3 JACKSON (IDA A.2 BETZ, AUGUSTUS1, ?A) was born April 13, 1899 in Medford, Jackson Co., OR, and died August 1987 in Berkeley, Alameda Co., CA. She married JOSEPH NIELSEN BATEMAN October 11, 1921 in Medford, Jackson Co., OR, son of SAMUEL BATEMAN and KAREN NIELSEN. He was born June 17, 1900 in Burton Bench, Teton Co., MT, and died December 16, 1989 in Berkeley, Alameda Co., CA.
Children of BESSIE JACKSON and JOSEPH BATEMAN are:
i. ROBERT JACKSON4 BATEMAN, b. July 26, 1923, Medford, Jackson Co., OR.
ii. JOHN ROGER BATEMAN, b. September 21, 1927, Medford, Jackson Co., OR; m. (1) DOROTHY JANE BLASINGAME, March 23, 1949, Corpus Christi, Nueces Co., TX; b. November 27, 1929, Kingsville, Kleberg Co., TX; m. (2) FREDDIE KINNETT, July 21, 1984, Corpus Christi, Nueces Co., TX.
More About JOHN ROGER BATEMAN:
More About DOROTHY JANE BLASINGAME: